‘STRANGER THINGS’ SEASON 2 – THE UPSIDE DOWN SIDE-BY-SIDES
After finishing the second season of Stranger Things, I couldn’t help but find each of the main characters’ Upside Down bizarro twins.
With the exception of Will, they all have a doppleganger that referenced a star or character from the ’70s, ’80s or ’90s.
Anyway, enjoy the fruits of my lazy Sunday and trust there are no spoilers if you haven’t finished yet.
1. Will Byers – Anne Hathaway
Sure Will’s got that Joey Lawrence Gimme a Break Dorothy Hamill ‘do, but the only thing scarier than surviving the Demogorgon is that Anne won an Oscar for singing! I Dreamed a scary Dream!
2. Mike Wheeler – Isabella Rossellini
There are worse things for a 13-year-old boy to be compared to than the eternal beauty of Lisle Von Rohlman from Death Becomes Her.
3. Lucas Sinclair – Arnold Drummond (Gary Coleman) in Diff’rent Strokes
Whatcha talkin ’bout who ya gonna call, Lucas?
4. Dustin Henderson – J.T. Lambert (Brandon Call) from Step by Step
The scene was straight up Duckie in Pretty in Pink, but Dustin’s weave was the quintessential ‘short but long’ cut of my guido high school and this ’90s child star.
5. Eleven – Jamie Lee Curtis (Terror Train/Prom Night era)
Eleven is truly the scream queen for a new generation.
6. Steve Harrington – Sandra Bernhard
Ladies love them and their luxurious Fabergé sprayed hair.
7. Billy Hargrove – Rob Lowe as Billy Hicks in St. Elmo’s Fire
Speaking of hair, don’t forget they say the accessories make an outfit
8. Nancy Wheeler – Diane Franklin (The Last American Virgin, Better Off Dead, Bill & Ted’s)
It’s all about being an ’80s It girl. So be careful, Nancy! #WhereAreTheyNow
9. Jonathan Byers – Michael Jackson
The wispy hair, the delicate features, the pale complexion. Maybe I’m the only one that sees it, but Jonathan makes me want to SCREAM!
10. Max Mayfield – Carrie (Sissy Spacek)
A redheaded girl without many friends. Hold the pigs blood, because Max has got the power!
11. Lucas’ sister Erica Sinclair – Dee (Danielle Spencer) on What’s Happening!!
Can you say scene-stealing wisecracking younger sister? Then how about, “No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent!”
12. Joyce Byers – Winona Ryder in Lost Souls
No one does frazzled anxiety quite like Nona. She also hasn’t aged in 20 years. You can’t steal that from Saks!
And finally my favorite ’80s film reference in season 2 goes to Hopper‘s Silkwood shower.
Alien, ET, Firestarter, Pretty in Pink… (insert ’80s film here) be damned, nothing tops the hard brush scrubdown of the Meryl Streep film classic. Check out a more thorough list of ’80s references here.
And if you need something else to binge, check out my podcast SCREAMING INTO TRAFFIC! for all the week’s loud & proud pop culture noize. It’s funny, I swear!